Saturday, February 25, 2012

Questions about Dragon Age II & Dragon Age: Origins?

Is DAO fun? I've heard some of the gameplay was glitchy, but it also had very high reviews. I sort of ruined it by reading the storyline on wikipedia, but I've never played the game. Does it take too long?

As for DA II, should I buy DAO before playing this one? I heard it's coming out in Mar, and since the last game got such good reviews, I'm having thoughts about buying it. Is DAO needed, or suggested to play before DA II?Questions about Dragon Age II %26amp; Dragon Age: Origins?
Depends on what Platform you are playing on. If possible, i HIGHLY recommend you go with the PC version. This is coming from someone who owns both console and PC versions (Videocard was dead when DAO came out and I couldn't wait to try it.) A look at any reviews will tell you that the console versions just do not match up against the PC version. This is because the game had to be restructured and refitted to the extremely limited function of a console controller. As a PC player, you'll enjoy such functions such as more complex camera controls. Definite and quick controls of every party member. A quick ability bar. As well as a much more unforgiving difficulty level.

I loved the game when I played it first on console, but I could not imagine how much more difficult the game becomes on PC, where intelligent tactical decisions make or break virtually every encounter you run across. On console, I barely had to pause combat to think about any actions at all. The difficulty was much more lenient, and the focus of combat was more based around speed and blatant killing instead of tactics. Not hating on consoles. It's just the truth. Coming from someone who has both versions. Although the console versions received very high scores as well, get the PC version if you can.

That being said, the game is pretty long (length is compounded by how much difficulty you have playing through it.) You'll probably play the game for around 50 hours depending on how much things you do and how much you struggle. My first playthrough landed me at around 80 hours (although I'm sure I spent plenty of time afk.) If you plan on getting into DA2, I highly recommend you play through the first. This is because (if you are familiar with ME2) Bioware has said that many choices and decisions you make through DAO will come back in the second game. Meaning that your actions will have impacts on how the world in DA2 will be. This is only possible if you have a completed save from DAO to import this data from, and I think I remember hearing that you will also be given bonus levels and abilities at the start if you bring in an imported save from DAO. A pretty neat bonus.

I absolutely loved DAO. It was a big throwback to older Bioware RPG's (Such as Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.) Back when success meant balancing tactical decisions and party abilities instead of spamming attack until you win. (A la Fallout 3.)

EDIT: It's best not to risk it then. The game is built on a pretty unstable engine that causes a myriad of glitches if played on a system that can't handle it. PC version is out of the question then.Questions about Dragon Age II %26amp; Dragon Age: Origins?
It is said that you can transfer your data from DAO to DA II so it affects some of the story. DAO is kind of glitchy and the gameplay is a bit repetative but the storyline and character plots are amazing. DA II is a must get but you have to get DAO so you know what it is about. But you can just get DA II if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment